I would love to stay home and maybe even think about homeschooling bear, but that is not an option right now. However I have had the privilege of cutting back my hours and working part-time, this way I am able to spend more time with my family! We have had to cut back on a few things in order to achieve this but it was well worth it!
I really want to share with you ways that we were able to save some money so we could spend more time as a family. I know there is some of y’all struggling with the desire to spend less time away from your family but you don’t think you can do it financially, my hope is to give you hope that maybe you can!
5. This is going to sound like an obvious answer but it really hit home for me. You NEED a budget! This really started when I went through financial peace university taught by Dave Ramsey. He really taught me how to do a budget and why. It’s really telling your money where to go and using it so it doesn’t run your life. I want to stay home but I also want to have fun, with a budget I get to decide where my money goes! When you sit down and do your first budget,you will see how wasteful you have been with your money and it might be pretty shocking! This is the time to change!
4. It’s time to cut the cable cords! We live in a world that is technology obsessed!! There are so many other options out there to help you live a little cheaper. Who really has time to sit down and watch live TV anyways. We all record and then watch our shows at a random time. With all these options you can still watch some awesome shows while saving a few $$, I mean who doesn’t like to binge watch Netflix at 2 am while eating those Oreos that you hid from the kids all day! We currently don’t have cable, Netflix or Hulu. I ordered the firestick from Amazon for $40 and hooked it up so that we could watch what ever we wanted. We already had amazon prime so we get access to all those shows (amazon is coming out with their own exclusive shows just like Hulu and Netflix) If you still need to watch news or the bachelorette just grab yourself an antenna and you get all your local shows completely FREE! We don’t have an antenna currently, we kind of live in our own blissful world since we don’t know all the negative that the news stations like to broadcast. When we move I do plan to get an antenna but till then we are just fine without it.
3. Meal plan! This goes hand in hand with budgeting, you have a set amount of money for groceries and when that money runs out you have to become creative with the food you have laying around. I am AWFUL at this, I used to be the girl who went to Wal-Mart every other day to buy food for dinner that night, then I’m hungry and buying who knows what, or they get me with all that delicious candy and chips in the check out isle! So to help me, I downloaded this app called EMeals. These people plan my meals for the whole week AND make my grocery list, all I have to do is open the app while shopping and check off something when I grab it! Then when I get home I pick the meal and BAM all my ingredients are there and I don’t have any stress. I pay $50 a year but it saves me that plus some each time I go grocery shopping, so I make that up within the first 2 weeks after that its all savings!
2. Make it! When you need something or run out of something ask yourself “Can I make this?”. So you say you’re not crafty or don’t know how, let me introduce you to your new BFF YouTube! If by some chance you can’t find a tutorial on YouTube, which is not very likely, there is also an app called Pinterest! That’s really my go to. You will find that you can make something so much cheaper and if it’s something for you body you can make it healthier for yourself than buying it. If you have to buy something and it’s not on the budget find a way to make the money to buy it, watch someones kids for a couple of hours, make something that you just learned to make and sell it. There is a lot of ways to make money!
1. Be content. This one steps on my toes every time I think about it. The bible says
“5. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you” Hebrews 13:5
How many times do we think we “need” a new car because ours is making a funny noise or we “need” new shoes because ours has a hole. Why not get someone of learn how to check your own car before buying a new one. Why not look in your closet at the other 10 pairs of shoes you have. You don’t like the other 10 shoes you have? Sell them and now you can buy yourself another pair of shoes. Of course there will come a time that you car will die and nothing can stop that but hopefully you have been able to set back some money to buy a “new” one. *By new one I defiantly not saying to go out and buy the newest car you can find.Choose one that is in your price range and has a few miles. We want to avoid being in-car debt. You may never have the newest car or most expensive shoes but you will get to be home with your family and to me that worth more than all the Gold and Silver in the world!
**Just because I really LOVE y’all I am going to give you one more tip. DITCH THE DISPOSABLES! You have no idea how much you are paying for plastic cups, paper plates or even paper towels! If you cut out this unneeded expense you will not only save money but you will also help leave the world a nicer and cleaner place for your children. Take pride in what God has left us to take care of, if that means that we have to work just a little harder by washing a couple extra dishes then take that time.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact me. I would love to help you make this change too.