I posted the most amazing picture of my child in Santa’s lap this past week. Imagine sitting a sweet 19 month old on some strange mans lap. Yeah that tromarizing yell your imagining, that’s what happened! It was pure gold! No, I’m not all about sacrificing my child for a good picture but come on, this is pretty darn cute.
But have no fear just 2 minutes later she was laughing with her friends and playing with acorns, all while saying “cheese” for every picture!
James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
I absolutely just went against the “social norm”. If you have read anything else by me, you know that I am not afraid to rock the boat. I speak out about thing most people don’t want to. This is one of these things!
So back to the big guy, Santa. I will answer some questions that some of you may be asking yourself. No Santa does not visit our house. Yes “Santa” used to visit my house as a kid. Yes, my child takes pictures with Santa. Yes, my child is currently sleeping in a Santa footie pajama, and she looks stinking cute in it!
1 Timothy 4: 6-9
(6) If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters,[a] you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. (7) Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. (8) For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (9) This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.
Shall I explain myself, so there were a few determining factors that we took into consideration as Christmas time came around, the first year we had bear.
- I’m married to a firefighter. Do you know their schedule? It’s crazy to say the least! He could work a Christmas one year and then maybe Christmas Eve the next, but wait it’s leap year so he may have to work Christmas again!
- Before we even had kids we talked about not having “Santa” visit our house.
- We don’t want to lie to bear. I get it! I pass absolutely NO Judgment on anyone that “believes” in santa, but to me it felt like lying. You may not see it that way.
- It’s not scriptually sound. “
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.” Colossians 2:8
I didn’t feel like involving Santa, involved Christ. I’m sure there is a way that you could but it’s so much easier to exnay the Santa man and focus more on Christ.
So last year, Bear was only 6 (ish) months old so she didn’t know anything was going on! This year, I have all kinds of Christ centered Christmas things planned! I will absolutely share more later!
This was a hards blog to write. I know some people really enjoy the “spirit” of Santa and giving, and they want their kids to be young and have fun with the imagination. Like I said I get it, but if we take a closer look at who’s SPIRIT was more GIVING, you will see that Christ gave us the greatest gift we could ever receive. The gift of eternity life! He also gave his whole life to give us this gift, so I will spent the rest of my life trying to serve him!
Do I think your a bad person or Christian or parent for “believing” in santa? HECK NO!!!
Should you think I’m a bad person or parent for no celebrating Santa? HECK NO!!!
Should we judge one another? HECK NO!!
Can we still be friends?? HECK YES!!!
Do we make the same parenting decision? HECK NO!!!